Use the granite tile with polished edges
Cleaning granite is not a difficult task and you should clean it, especially the kitchen countertop, every day. As far as polishing is concerned, use the granite tile with polished edges for outside finish pieces. Polishing the granite tiles is a laborious task and you would need to take proper precautions for safety. You need to use a grinder with various grit diamond pads that might vary from 50 grit to 3000 grit and more. In case your granite countertops are partially polished, you can skip the lower grits.
Some of you have done it previously and trying to give it a second try and do complete justice to the previous shot. For them, polishing can be done quite easily by using the right tools and procedure along with some mechanical skill.
This process involves sanding the stone with very fine abrasives diamond pads of grit 3000. The process results in very high sheen on its surface. These polishing pads are the exact tool for polishing granite. You can also find these pads in other grits such as 30, 150, 300, 500, 6000, 10000 and, White Buff.
Steps for granite polishing
1. Place and fasten granite slab on a work table firmly with the help of right size clamps
2. Check the initial state of surface and then start the polishing process with grit 50
3. 50, 100, 200 grit size removes the heavy scratches and 1500, 3000 grit size should be used for final finishing
4. Attach the rubber hook and loop backing pads to wet polish by rotating it a clock-wise
5. Now let’s start the polishing steps with the diamond granite polishing kit
6. Attach 50 grits to the velcro of backing pad and open water flow for wet polisher
7. Start polishing the granite edge 4-5 times with side-to-side motion
8. Use the grinder initially at a low speed and slowly increase the speed
9. After the completion of 50 grits, you move to the 100 grits and the 200 grits
10. After this, you would find a smoother surface without the saw marks
11. In order to ensure that every single part of the edges are polished, you should wipe the edge surface with a clean and damp towel and polish dry
12. While polishing the entire water should get evaporated and then you can perform one more round of wet polishing
13. Start with the very next advanced grit once the complete surface is polished
14. Repeat the processes with lower grits to higher grits until you get your desired finish
15. Do not use more than the double grits from the first diamond granite polishing pads
16. Use the grits one by one until the shine is accurate
17. Proceed gradually to grit 1500 and 3000 when you will start getting mirror like finish
But in the entire process do wear the proper safety equipment that includes a dust mask, safety glasses, and ear protection.